July 13, 2006
: bean sprouts (on the bottom), rice noodles, cucumber, mint, scallions, lime
: Shrimp curry laksa
: assembled in the lid of my Totoro bowl bento set -- yum!
Another all-time favorite meal makes its way into the bento repertoire. I like to cook up a big batch of the sauce, then, before adding the shrimp at the end, I portion the sauce out into tupperware containers and freeze it. Whenever we feel like laksa, I heat up a batch, add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes and voila!
Curry laksa also makes a yummy bento as it tastes good at room temperature.
CURRY LAKSA NOODLES
2 tbsp red curry paste
1 tbsp pine nuts, finely ground
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp water
1 lb rice vermicelli noodles
2 14-oz cans light coconut milk
1 14-oz can low-sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 handful fresh mint leaves, slivered
1 handful bean sprouts
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1 English cucumber, sliced into thin 2-inch strips
1 lime, cut into wedges
Sriracha chili sauce
- Cook rice noodles in boiling water until tender but firm, about 2 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water, drain again, and set aside.
- Combine curry paste, pine nuts, turmeric, and water in a small bowl and mash with a fork.
- In a large, deep skillet, bring 3/4 cup of coconut milk to gentle boil over medium heat, stirring often. Cook for about 3 minutes, until milk thickens a little and bubbles gently. Reduce the heat to low, add the curry paste mixture and cook, stirring and mashing often, until fragrant, softened and thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Add remaining coconut milk, broth, sugar, and salt. Stir well, increase the heat to medium and bring to a gentle boil. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the shrimp. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until shrimp turn pink and are cooked through. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To serve, top rice noodles in each bowl with bean sprouts and shrimp curry almost to cover the noodles. Garnish with scallions, cucumber, mint, and lime. Serve with Sriracha chili sauce.
* Use gluten-free products.
© Cooking Cute