September 6, 2006
Totoro bento: panda onigiri; brown bear onigiri; chicken thighs stuffed with spinach, feta, and pine nuts; red and yellow bell pepper strips.
SPINACH AND FETA-STUFFED CHICKEN THIGHS
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, all visible fat removed
2/3 cup chopped spinach
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp butter, melted
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pound the chicken thighs lightly to an even thickness and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Then add spinach and lemon juice. Saute until spinach wilts, then remove from heat.
- Squeeze any excess moisture from the spinach and add it to a mixing bowl. It is ok if the spinach is still moist -- you just don't want it sopping wet. Mix in the feta and pine nuts.
- Place a pounded chicken thigh with what would have been the skin side facing down. Add a mound of the spinach-feta mixture to the center of the chicken thigh and roll the chicken around it.
- Place the stuffed chicken thigh seam side down on a lightly sprayed (or greased or buttered) roasting pan. Repeat with the other chicken thighs. Brush melted butter on top of chicken thighs.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes per pound of chicken. Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
* Use gluten-free products
© Cooking Cute